Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
Respective fifth and sixth albums Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage saw Black Sabbath inevitably moving further away from their roots of doom and gloom; Bloody Sabbath incorporated a progressive flair, being the use or orchestrations and synthesizers, and Sabotage was perhaps more regular, bluesy hard rock than it was trademark Sabbath metal. Seventh work Technical Ecstasy continues down this path: it once again incorporates a prominent use of keyboards and synthesizers, and takes a more traditional rock approach.

It was also the album where the demise of the classic Sabbath line-up began to really sink in. Not only were they being personally driven apart by substance abuse, something that had been plaguing the band since turning point Vol. 4, but by their seventh album, the musical integrity was beginning to crumble. Though with Sabotage, the band showed they could pull of traditional rockers, some moments on Technical Ecstasy are rather doubtful. Opener Back Street Kids, for example, tries to copy the success of Hole in the Sky, but ends up with a bland, endlessly repeated riff that doesn’t whether to settle on doomy Sabbath or hard rock Sabbath. Osbourne’s vocal performance doesn’t really help either. Whereas his work on the band’s previous two albums had been as good as it had been on the classic Paranoid, although different, he doesn’t even sound like he’s trying here. On All Moving Parts (Stand Still) and She’s Gone, he his at his most nasal and annoying.

On Gypsy and Rock ‘n ‘ Roll Doctor (which’ title does indeed not leave much to the imagination), the boys took it down to an even more generic level, but despite half of the album being decidedly average, it also has its share of highlights, which unsurprisingly come in the form of more creative songs. The slow-burning Won’t Change Me, heaviest on the synths, contains the most emotionally effective instrumentation on the album, and comes close to be called a unique Sabbath moment. Then there are the two ballads, It’s Alright and She’s Gone. The former is very interesting, solely because of the fact it is the first Sabbath song not sung by Osbourne, but Ward instead (at Osbourne’s suggestion, actually). It so happens that Osbourne has already proven not to have the ideal voice for traditional ballads (anyone remember Changes?), and Ward’s vocals are refreshing, especially because they are far more heartfelt, which is of course an essential ingredient for any successful ballad. In comparison, the though well-orchestrated She’s Gone is a disappointment, once again displaying Ozzy’s inability for the song type.

You’d be hard-pressed to find an actual Sabbath classic on Technical Ecstasy, but rough closer Dirty Women makes its move in the right direction. Moving from loud to soft, it is especially the former, frenzied parts and great soloing that stand out. The song also contains the single memorable vocal moment, sounding closest to Osbourne’s vocals on the band’s previous two albums. It is, however, not enough to save Technical Ecstasy, which, considering it’s too great portion of bland material, just doesn’t make the mark. That said, it gets a little too much hate from some, as the potential is still there. Just face that quality Ozzy-era Sabbath ended after Sabotage.

Technical Ecstasy’s Black Sabbath was:

- Frank Anthony ‘Tony’ Iommi ~ Lead Guitar

- John Michael ‘Ozzy’ Osbourne ~ Lead Vocals

- Terrence Michael Joseph ‘Geezer’ Butler ~ Bass Guitar

- William Thomas ‘Bill’ Ward ~ Drums, Lead Vocals on It’s Alright

Also performing:

- Gerald ‘Jezz’ Woodruffe ~ Keyboards

Tracklist for Technical Ecstasy:

1. Back Street Kids

2. You Won't Change Me

3. It's Alright

4. Gypsy

5. All Moving Parts (Stand Still)

6. Rock 'n' Roll Doctor

7. She's Gone

a1.jpeg

8. Dirty Women

Good review. I've been listening to this record again and, in spite of what I told once, is pretty good. No, is not a classic up to the first six albums with Ozzy or the first two with Dio, but is a more than decent effort. It contains its fair share of great songs, such as You Won't Change Me, Dirty Women and It's Alright (even while this last one totally betrays the Sabbath sound, is beautiful on its own, and Bill Ward sings it really well). Only Rock and Roll Doctor and She's Gone are lame, but the rest goes from "good" to "great". Besides, the soloing in this album is amazing, and one of the keys to enjoy the work as a whole. If you (whoever is reading this) are willing to accept what this group is trying to do here and you approach it with an open mind, I promise you that is not as bad or mediocre as people usually say. Even when it has its problems. My rating: 7+

Read it with great interest and loved it. I love all of Sabbath's albums except one: Never Say Die ....if we wanna really wanna dig up the commercial synthy popish garbage put on record it's gotta be NSD :)

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic