Was led Zeppelin an amazing band ?

john

I think Led Zeppelin have been very diverse throughout their career. They've played Blues, Folk, Heavy Metal & Hard Rock.
I think timing plays a big part of why bands and artists stand out. Just like Elvis, The Beatles.
Led Zeppelin was an amazing band but there so many other great bands that perhaps didn't get full recognition due to timing.
To me, I think the late 70's and early 80's had a greater variety of Rock to choose from.
please tell us in comments do you agree with that?

I totally agree, but remember the "roots" of what we now call rock, were in the 50's with Chuck Berry's riffing & all those blues legends that so inspired Plant & Page. Zeppelin were mighty, diverse & powerful, but later became bloated with excess and tragedy nipped at their heels. I actually preferred ROBERT PLANT'S varied & incredibly diverse out put as a solo artist & collaborator. He traces the music we love right back to it's & man's origins, AFRICA.
Timing played a huge part in the success of all bands, including LED ZEPPELIN. But also management. In PETER GRANT Led Zep had a stalwart who use his fists to get what he wanted for his band if necessary, he was devoted and besotted with his charges. He, for the first time in the music business, put the artist first, negotiating huge fees for public performances & generous royalty deals. Back in Zep's hey day everything was filtered unlike today where any old dross is put out there and drowns out some truly outstanding stuff. Zep wouldn't make it very big today, but back then they were HUGE> Right placve, right time, well managed.

Zep an amazing band is right, but the 70s were not only Zep......there was Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Tull, Deep Purple, Sweet, Slade, etc etc.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic