AC/DC - For Those About To Rock We Salute You - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
Don"t get me wrong, "FTATR" has its moments. Songs like "C.O.D." or the unmistakable title track are among the best the group composed, particularly during the 80"s. The problem? They"re surrounded by such unabashed filler as "Snowballed", "Breaking The Rules" and the appalling "Night Of The Long Knives".

Along with the group"s songwriting, which is starting to sound more than a tad generic, another problem of this album is its somewhat inadequate production. The whole sound is a bit tiny, which is surprising since "Mutt" Lange was once again responsible. Brian"s voice is also in much worse condition than on "BIB", and what"s worse " Angus"s riffs lack the "crunch" they were always characterized for. On this album, the eccentric lead guitarist goes for a more melodic approach, evident on the title track and on follow-up "I Put The Finger On You". Which takes us to the lyrics. What used to be double entendres in Bon Scott"s time are now straightforward "single entendres". C"mon, "Put The Finger On You"? What can be more obvious than that?!

But the biggest flaw here, as I said, is the songwriting. All in all, "FTATR" has three good songs " the title track, "Put The Finger On You" and "C.O.D." - two passable ones - "Let"s Get It Up" and "Evil Walks" - and the rest is just pure uninspired filler. Some of the songs boast good details here and there " the chorus on "Inject The Venom", the solo on "Snowballed" - but overall that is not enough to capture our attention.

So, all in all, this album makes us think maybe "BIB" and "H2H" were flukes. Musically, I mean. Because this album is neither as immediate as "BIB" nor as crunchingly in-your-face as "H2H". It takes us back to the days of "Powerage", and ends up adding a few of the touches that would characterize later offerings from the group. Bottom line: it"s a somewhat insipid album, recommended to fans and completists only. The rest would do better to buy "Back In Black".

Tracklist for For Those About To Rock We Salute You:

1. For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)

2. Put The Finger On You

3. Let's Get It Up

4. Inject The Venom

5. Snowballed

6. Evil Walks

7. C.O.D.

8. Breaking The Rules

9. Night Of The Long Knives

10. Spellbound

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic