Aerosmith - Aerosmith - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
Aerosmith's debut album, released back in 1973 may not quite be the classic album Aerosmith was lookin' for at first but managed to produce some great songs. From the epic ballad "Dream On" to the lean groove of "Mama Kin" and "Movin' Out", this album is not only a fine way for Aerosmith to kick off their career, its also a great early 70's rock and roll record not to be passed up. There's also a well done cover of an old 50's tune called "Walkin' the Dog", which was also covered by The Rolling Stones and I must say that I prefer Aerosmith's version. "One Way Street" is a blues epic that clocks in at seven minutes makin' it one of Aerosmith's longest songs ever. Now that i've told you briefly 'bout these songs let me get into the major descriptions...

Band Members:

Steven Tyler (Vocals)

Joe Perry (Guitars)

Brad Whitford (Guitars)

Tom Hamilton (Bass)

Joey Kramer (Drums)

1. Make It (3:40)

A good way to start the album out. Has a quick hard rockin' riff with some catchy lyrics and good vocals. It gets raunchy at a point in the song that adds a little character to the song ands ends on a rockin' beat. I think the drumming is excellent on this song and stands out quite a bit, especially compared to other songs. The lyrics stand out the best towards the end with the lines; "Bad weather, pull yourself together", "Make it, but don't break it" and so on. This is a for sure underated gem by Aerosmith that you'll only hear on this album. 5/5

2. Somebody (3:45)

The second song is a good blues song but is a bit annoying with its scratchy guitar playing. After you've listened to the album you'll realize quite a few songs sound somewhat similar to this song and sometimes you'll think that you're listening to this song but you're actually listening to lets say "Write Me". I'm not too sure 'bout it but it just seems that way. Overall though, it's a fine song with some good lyrics and singing by Steven Tyler. 3/5

3. Dream On (4:27)

The biggest hit on the album and probably the bands biggest hit ever. It features some of Aerosmith's best instrumentation and some of their finest lyrics to this date. The line; "I know it's everybody's sin, you got to lose to know how to win" is one of those classic lines that make a song so amazing. The guitar work is done to perfection and what's more to be said about this amazing song" 5/5

4. One Way Street (7:02)

Maybe the most underated song on the album. It's a bit of an epic for a blues song but needlessly so, it's a great one. Great guitar playing and once again great lyrics make for an excellent tune. Also, it clocks in at seven minute and two seconds mark making it one Aerosmith's longest songs, as far as the 70's go. 5/5

5. Mama Kin (4:28)

This song contains a great catchy riff with a great solo as well. The lyrics and vocals are good but nothing more can be said about the great riff it holds. It was covered a while back by Guns N' Roses but its safe to say that Aerosmith's version is still the best. 5/5

6. Write Me (4:11)

Another bluesy song similar to "Somebody". A bit looser and less scratchy sounding but really, it sounds to much of what is to be expected so far through the album making it hard to really get into, it's a good song, just not as great as some of the others. 4/5

7. Movin' Out (5:02)

A more hard rockin' type of song with an epic feel to it, it really has a rockin' riff and has some good lyrics to go along with it. Another underated gem to be found on this album along with "One Way Street" and "Make It". Like i've already said, Joe and Brad do a great job on the guitars and Steven Tyler does a nice job on the vocals though his singing seems a little rough, but neverless, this is a great song. 5/5

8. Walkin' the Dog (3:12)

A cover of an older rock and roll song with a nice groovy beat and catchy lyrics. The lyrics are catchy and everything in this song just meshes together perfectly making this one of the better and most well done covers out there. It's really good way to finish the album, even if it's a bit short if I must say anything negative. 5/5

In the end, most people are probably gonna pass this album by due to the fact that the other 6 or 7 songs besides Dream On or Mama Kin might not have the same appeal factor as those songs but if you give it a chance you'll realize it's a true blues rockin' gem. From the pounding riff of "Make It" to the blues epic "One Way Street" and the cover "Walkin' the Dog", you should really enjoy this album, especially if you love Aerosmith.

a1.jpeg

Last edited:
Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic