Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't it great to see the oldies like Sabbath still putting so much innovation in their work? I mean, listen to Illusion of Power off their final record Forbidden. Sabbath actually managed to cooperate with the famous rapper Ice-T for the track, who both co-wrote it and performs some rapping during the bridge. And against all expectations, never have hip-hop and metal be so well-molten together. The sheer power of the dark, evil riffs, combined with Martin's and T's vocal greatness is just unstoppable.

No, but seriously.

Forbidden has issues, and they are not few. This album is one that Sabbath should never have made, and makes the yawn-inducing power metal era of Headless Cross and Tyr seem good in comparison. Looking at all the factors that could make a heavy metal record enjoyable, this album possesses none of them. The riffs are uninspired, recycled, boring, pick your description. The vocals aren't off any better: Martin sounds like a bad parody of Ronnie James Dio (May He Rest in Peace), and takes away all credibility this album could possibly hope to achieve. Forbidden is a ***ing disaster.

I wish I could say that, even despite a few major missteps in the 80's and early 90's, Black Sabbath at least ended on a decent note. Cross Purposes could have been this note. But no, Iommi continues without Butler, and voilá: he creates what is quite possibly the very worst point of Black Sabbath's career. Not often have I had the displeasure of hearing such as ***ty excuse for a metal album, and there's only one piece of advice to you all: stay the hell away from this.

Tracklist for Forbidden:

1. The Illusion of Power (feat. Ice-T)

2. Get a Grip

3. Can't Get Close Enough

4. Shaking Off the Chains

5. I Won't Cry for You

6. Guilty as Hell

7. Sick and Tired

8. Rusty Angels

a1.jpeg

9. Forbidden

10. Kiss of Death