Good music!

Aaron

kids these days don’t know how good classic rock is/was!

Do you think this generation is missing out on what’s “good” music? ?

It is just a generational thing I think. I remember in the 70's watching TOtP's and a group called sweet were on that I was into (still am) but my Father was calling it a 'racket' and slagging them off for having long hair and make up.

There is a gap between every budding generation and rock music / music is no exception being it a cultural form of art.
Having said this, I think first we have to define "good music"; in my opinion, good music is any music which is not exquisitely 100% commercial , in other words, music that is not created to fulfill the latest fad no matter what, thus disrupting the truly artistic vein of the artist who produces it.
For example, Michael Jackson sold millions and millions of records, but that doesn't necessarily and automatically make it good music.......same thing goes for Kiss, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, Donna Summer, Eminem, just to mention some over the whole spectrum. There is so much overlooked music out there, it's not funny anymore.
Musically speaking, Don Costa, the greatest arranger of music, once said "the big diff between a good song and a mediocre one is to be found in the arrangements". He was damn right.

Some of my friends used to knock rock music and support disco music because, according to them, rock music is only screams and noise, while disco (dance) music is heavenly bliss because it was "easy on the ears" and they added that you cannot dance to rock music while music played in a disco is the only danceable music. Frankly speaking, this is total BS, as if discotheques didn't exist in the 50s, 60s or 70s ......for disco buffs, kids danced to music in discos in the 80s, hahahahaha....what total BS !!
I love going to concerts and I did my part in dancing in discos because I love dancing , but I only lifted my butt and shook my booty to the likes of James Brown (only true funky music), Question Mark & the Mysterians, Lipps Inc and the like.....I even danced to psychedelic pop and "stoner" music !!!! C'mon !!!

The songs nowadays don't have the same vibe. Also, just like with movies, I see some that are just remakes. The lyrics of today can be extremely biased & seems they mostly go for the way a singer looks NOT the lyrics themselves. Songs back then had a deeper meaning & were well-thought of.

The lyrics in most modern day songs are ok, but I still think composers do not work enuff on arranging them properly.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic