Green Day - 39/Smooth

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
Their debut was 39-Smooth. The album was released back in the early 90s - back when we felt from the smokers of the crap-ass hair metal. Hardcore punk was an ok movement - I liked Black Flag and that ian Mackaye band... I think it was called Minor Threat. Wait, I check Google. Yep. Minor Threat. And Fuagzi. Who could forget Fuagzi"

Not if Billy Joe, Mike and Al Sobriante (washed up nobody) wore their influences on their sleeve then maybe the crap punk they made now would be forgiven. This is not heavy though. Minor Threat attacked drugs with Straight Edge. Descendents spoke about the social inequalitys with "I'm Not a Loser". But Green Day apparently smoked pot, got horny and jacked off. Just like any other teenage r in So Cal.

I think I've rambled on too much already, so I will go on and now discuss Green Day's debut album, 39-Smooth. It was released in 1990 on indie label Lookout! records.

1. At the Library: If Green Day could start out their career on a song like this, I never would have expected ***ty albums like Uno, 21st Century Breakdown. Good slab of old punk rock that isn't as pop-rock as Uno!. Uno! is a bad album, this was bad, but in a sloppier manner. So Green Day had began 39/Smooth with a decent song. Mike Dirnt's bass was ok. Slap bass" I don't know I am not a guitarist. Do not ask me. 4/5

2. Don't Leave Me: I don't hate this track. It is just average. So painfully dull. 2.5/5

3. I Was There: So was I! I'm getting tired with crap ass track summary's now - enough's enough, I want to call it off. But I can't, because that is how reviews are made. So this is another punk rock song with decent lyrics but I have a mouse in my hand. This song is the epitome of average Green Day. They wear their punk influences on their sleeve - Bad Brains and Meat Puppets galore! But it's mediocre" 2/5

4. Disappearing Boy - This is another early highlight. I feel as if Green Day should have made more of these songs but i know they didn't because the cries of SELL OUT (LESS THAN JAKE) and REEL BIG FISH or LABLE MANAGAment gave them in. Al Sobriante's drum fills are punk-y cool. So that's why Green Day get a pass for this. 3.5/5

5. Green Day - self-titled songs, so freaking cool my man. Y'all want a single say, *** that, because this is alright. Smoking weed and getting laid seem like the stereotypical Green Day ***, but it's not. This is a joke song in the vein of The Offspring's "Pretty White (For a White Guy)". I mean, come on now. 2/5

6. Going to Pasalacqua - Now we get things into gear. This is one of Green Day's best early pre-Dookie tracks, so it is good. Fly over states and go to this nowhere town. Lyrics are good. Riffs nice. Good song. 4.5/5

7. 16 - I can't describe this song. So bad. 1.5/5

8. Road to Acceptance - Sounds just like Pasalacqua. Same description, just copy and paste it. 4.5/5

9. Rest - put me to sleep because this song bores me. So hard. Please. zzzzzz 1.5/5

10. The Judge's Daughter - I always thought this song would be a cock rock song about getting it on with the sexy boss's daughter. It doesn't talk about sexual escapades, but I thought it would. So it gets a pass for lyrics content. BJ has a good vocal. performance here. It's ok of a song. 3/5

39-Smooth shows how mediocre Green Day were on their debut. It was just bad because they wanted to emulate hardcore punk but so sloppily. How would they follow it up" Stay tuned for Part II: The Companies of A New Tomorrow.

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic