The Moody Blues - The Magnificent Moodies - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
One thing could not be denied from listening to this album, it had loads of potential. From Denny Laine's quality harmonica playing in Can't Nobody Love You to the amazing vocal performances in Something You Got, it was clear that this quintet had a lot to prove. The problem lies in some of the other songs. Thank You Baby has abysmal sound quality; whatever they were using to record that track, it just was not good. Not to mention the uninteresting It Ain't Necessarily So which treads a somber tone in its vocal delivery but largely misses the mark with the instruments overtaking the vocals at points.

There are other quality tracks on here though. True Story is my favorite track on the album, an amazing Rock track with a hefty dose of quality guitar playing from virtuoso Denny Laine. Bye Bye Bird is an eccentric combination of pounding drums, crazy shakers, and some of the best harmonica usage on the entire record. It's with these tracks that I'm reminded why Denny Laine was so far ahead of his time back then, he was a man who could play instruments like nothing and do it to a level that was unmatched at the time.

The Magnificent Moodies was about as good as a debut as it was most likely going to get. However, if you had asked me at the tail end of 1965 which album was better; this or Help!, I would have said this album hands down. The Magnificent Moodies was much more fun, energetic, and interesting to listen to. Sure it would be a bit before The Moody Blues would truly tap into their potential, but with this debut, they proved they were nothing to scoff at.

1-2 Something You Got 2:52

1-3 Go Now3:12

1-4 Can't Nobody Love You 4:02

1-5 I Don't Mind 3:27

1-6 I've Got A Dream 2:52

1-7 Let Me Go 3:13

1-8 Stop 2:06

1-9 Thank You Baby 2:29

1-10 It Ain't Necessarily So 3:21

1-11 True Story 1:45

1-12 Bye Bye Bird 2:53

a1.jpeg