The Rolling Stones - Aftermath - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The US version differs by not having 'Mother's Little Helper' opening the album and by being several songs shorter. The Rolling Stones advance in a sense, having self composed every song here, but they were surely capable of doing the same a year or so earlier if they'd wanted to? In the year 1966, the year of 'Blonde On Blonde', 'Revolver' and 'Pet Sounds', how does 'Aftermath' compare exactly? Well, it comes fourth, doesn't it, and that's ignoring everything else released that famous year. The Byrds released 'Eight Miles High' for fucks sake! Anyhow, The Stones put on a good show here, by and large. But nothing is better than before, just perhaps more consistent, were it not for the fact this album actually isn't consistent! The likes of 'Mothers Little Helper' and 'Under My Thumb' are of course superb and perennial Stones concert favourites, but what else is here? Well, dropped from the US version of the album we have 'Out Of Time', a gorgeous pop song, absolutely perfect and practically my favourite song here. Well, 'Under My Thumb' is possibly better. We've got 'Lady Jane', a sweet ballad loosely in the style of 'As Tears Go By' in that it doesn't sound at all like a Stones song whatsoever. The first four songs here do form a very strong start to the record, though. Following that is 'Doncha Bother Me' a blues rhythm and blues thing i've have regarded as being a weak link in the chain on their debut, let alone here. Progress? Not really. 'Going Home' is eleven minutes long, and actually rather entertaining but the UK version of this album places it song five whilst the US version more sensibly places it at the end of the set. But, but! The UK versions scores over the US version by having 'Out Of Time' on it, which it does of course. 'Out Of Time' is pop gold, beautiful soft Jagger vocals and a hook akin to a medium sized planet. What more could you ask for?

'It's Not Easy' is a rocking Stones rhythm and blues by numbers piece, no more no less. 'I Am Waiting' still doesn't rank the stones level, or even remotely close, to the 1966 innovations of the likes of The Beach Boys, The Byrds or The Beatles but is an ultra sweet and hugely enjoyable folky and semi acoustic pop song. 'Take It Or Leave It'? I'll leave this one. 'Think'? This is clear filler, barely audible instrumentation even on the new remasters. 'What To Do' is a sing-a-long pop song, pretty good, and there you have it. The Rolling Stones would make huge advances, but not just yet. Consistency is a problem with the UK version of 'Aftermath' at least, and with a good part of the album not exactly being mind-blowing, I couldn't imagine rating the US version higher than an '8'. An '8'? Sounds like i'm really down on this album, doesn't it? I'm not, it's good.

Mothers Little Helper / Stupid Girl / Lady Jane / Under My Thumb / Donca Bother Me / Going Home / Flight 505 / High And Dry / Out Of Time / It's Not Easy / I Am Waiting / Take It Or Leave It / Think / What To Do

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic