The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The US version of this album differs from the UK version by Omitting 'Mona' and replacing it with 'Not Fade Away'. One thing in particular strikes me about this record, though - how great it sounds for an album recorded in 1964. Compared to the groups great rivals The Beatles, the clarity of the sound here is impressive, no question. The Rolling Stones take on American black music wasn't terribly original musically perhaps, but they do it well. Mick Jagger can take a lot of credit here, as far as i'm concerned. His vocals are constantly striking and distinctive, if still leaning upon blues vocalists. The music is competent, more than competent actually, but remains rooted in Rhythm And Blues and doesn't stray too far from that. It doesn't matter, this debut is exciting, thrilling and fun. Original? No. The Beatles had a sound nobody had heard before, combining different elements together to create the new 'Beat' sound. To my ears, and this obviously doesn't make a single bit of sense, this album right here sounds more 'genuine' than early Beatles, though. A less manufactured sound, even though The Beatles sound wasn't actually 'manufactured' at all. Of course, all this is listening with 40 years of hindsight - listening to both groups at the time would have been a different experience, of that i've no doubt. The Beatles invented ( or rather more accurately, 'changed' ) pop music, The Stones set about taking Rock music to some other place by simply paying tribute to their heroes, no more than that. Rhythm and Blues transformed into something new via London, England. They couldn't really play this music the same, or sound the same - and it's all the better that they couldn't.

'Not Fade Away' I adore with the shaking rhythm and the great harmonica. 'Route 66' is pretty straight, not terribly an imaginative interpretation, but played with passion and conviction all the same. 'I just Want To Make Love To You' is a good example of The Stones sounding dangerously 'on the edge' and sounding sexual with it, thanks to the vocals of Mick Jagger more than anything else, although the music is pretty unhinged as well - great stuff. I dig the guitar sounds in 'Little By Little' and the vocals of Mick Jagger again impress with his twisting of vowels and his full on, breathless approach - the guitar picks up, a neat little solo twisting around the mid-section of the song, and this really is fabulous stuff. 'King Bee' is even better, a blues workout recorded with amazing clarity - you can hear each and every single note and vocal expression, very warm and up-close, but with the necessary sexual and dangerous tone required running throughout. The remaining material here doesn't quite thrill me as much as songs one to seven, but then, the conviction and energy remains to pull you through. The only jagger/richard composition on the entire album, 'Tell Me' sounds markedly different to everything else here, a very simple song, certainly not a great song but the vocals get me every time. 'Tell Me' is rooted in American music forms, but the echo on the vocals in the chorus - a chorus almost like some old doo-wop tune is really very charming! Of the closing three songs, 'Walking The Dog' is impressive musically with 'You Can Make It If You Try' impressive vocally. Good work Mick! Good work - Keith, Brian and 'the boys'. I'll be tuning in next time around, no worries.

Not Fade Away / Route 66 / I Just Want To Make Love To You / Honest I Do / Now I've Got A Witness / Little By Little / I'm A King Bee / Carol / Tell Me / Can I Get A Witness / You Can Make It If You Try / Walking The Dog

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic