The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones Now - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The second UK Stones album, 'The Rolling Stones No 2' is the basis for this third US Rolling Stones album release. Add in assorted singles, take a few songs away from 'The Rolling Stones No 2' to make way for them, confuse this poor reviewer many years later who is trying to understand which songs came from where, and there you have it! The addition of the singles 'Heart Of Stone' and 'Little Red Rooster' is a good thing, the use of 'Mona' from the UK Stones debut album is a good thing, too. I just wish they'd released the same albums both sides of the Atlantic, it'd make my life easier, but still. Onwards we go. The lack of progression The Rolling Stones appear to be making is deceptive because of the cut up nature of the US album releases and the short time span these first three albums were released in. It sounds to me, listening to these albums many years later that the group were actually going backwards, although the pressure on Jagger/Richards to write original material would soon pay immense dividends and catapult the groups forwards once more. 'Heart Of Stone' is the pick of the four Jagger/Richards songs this time out, the other songs they wrote being 'What A Shame', 'Off The Hook' and the closing 'Surprise Surprise'. I mentioned the pressure Jagger/Richards were under? 'Heart Of Stone' was released as a single Jan 1965. The fabulous 'The Last Time' ( why wasn't that placed on the album? ) was released as a single Feb 1965 and the album came out March 1965! That's the pace with which things happened in those days, you didn't have time to breathe.

'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' I detest, not the Stones performance here, which is very good, but the song in general. This is a personal bias of mine, but I can't help that. And no, I don't like 'The Blues Brothers' either. The five minute long 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' is followed by the mid-tempo four minute long 'Down Home Girl' and the pace, passion and concise nature of the first Stones LP has seemingly dissipated altogether. 'You Can't Catch Me' is energetic and well performed, but this was 1965! Bob Dylan and The Beatles were making huge strides in 1965, what were The Stones up to. Doing the same old stuff they did in 1964, that's what, and not doing it better either. I'm being unfair I realise, this was EARLY 1965, after all - and The Stones would indeed progress as they went along. Just listen to 'The Last Time' for evidence, Keith Richards writes his first great riff for that song. Why wasn't it here? 'Heart Of Stone' is here though and it's great, Mick sounds fabulous with the vocals. 'What A Shame' is true to the early Rolling Stones roots and influences, 'Mona' is great, very in line with 'Not Fade Away' from 'Englands Newest Hit makers' funnily enough. 'Down The Road Apiece' has energy and passion in the performance, 'Off The Hook' has an interesting rhythm, but I feel like i'm clutching at straws.

'Little Red Rooster' eventually arrives, and is truly magnificent. As good as 'King Bee' from the debut? Yeah, it is. And with 'Heart Of Stone' and 'The Last Time' The Rolling Stones were showing signs that they could write their own chart topping original material. Things were gonna happen. Hey, there's another statement made with hindsight! Ah, whatever. This is my least favourite of the first three US Stones albums. That a good portion of it is based on the second UK Stones album doesn't matter. I haven't heard that version of the album, but I would think I'd prefer that a good deal less than the debut, as well.

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love / Down Home Girl / You Can't Catch Me / Heart Of Stone / Mona / Down The Road Apiece / Off The Hook / Pain In My Heart / Oh Baby / Little Red Rooster / Surprise, Surprise

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic