The Who - By Numbers - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The title of the album combined with the dot to dot Entwistle cartoon artwork? Well, 'The Who By Numbers'? No concept for this one. Perhaps critics have shrugged their shoulders and rather concentrated on more noticeable, marketable, newsworthy Who albums, like 'Quadrophenia' or 'Tommy'? No concept, but 'Who By Numbers' is full of terrific numbers. The songs here could just as easily have been recorded as a Pete Townshend solo record, these are personal songs. Brought to the table by Entwistle, Daltery and Moon is superb muscianship, great group interplay. Brought to the table by 'Who's Next' producer Glyn Johns, is crystal clear sound and seperation, wonderful production. Pete admitted in various interviews around the time that with the 'Quadrophenia' record he'd perhaps painted himself into a corner. The idea of an album such as that, drawing a line under everything you've done before? I can understand that. So no concept, just songs. Moon can still drum, Entwistle is still a brilliant bass player, Daltery is still in full voice and Pete is still writing great songs. Can't ask for more than that, really. There are a number of key songs here, amongst the greatest songs The Who have ever done. 'Squeeze Box' is a great rock song, full of funny lyrics and full of great playing. The sex thing in the lyric, "Mama's got a squeeze box, daddy can't sleep at night.... in and out, in and out, in and out..." Of course, it's just about some lady accordian player Pete knew! Following 'Squeeze Box' with 'Dreaming From The Waist' hardly helps Pete's innocent assertion that 'Squeeze Box' isn't at all about sex, however. Roger sings that a cold shower helps his health and about controlling himself. Right! But, my god, The Who perform 'Dreaming From The Waist' damn well, right from the strummed classic Who sounding introduction through to the brilliant group interplay as the song fades out.

'Slip Kid' opens the whole shebang, not an especially special song in and about itself, but the production and performance is professional and a little exciting, too. The Who sound good, especially Daltery. He growls and roars and, you know? 'However Much I Booze' interests me. The Who would have attracted, by 1975, a new audience in part, a bunch of 16/17 year olds just discovering the group. They'd also have retained part of their original audience, guys who were now themselves in their late twenties/early thirties. These guys, the latter guys, will have easily have been able to relate to personal Townshend songs such as 'However Much I Booze'. I know I can. Not to go into detail, but this is a masterful piece of writing. It was probably written off the cuff, you know? I'm feeling this, i'll write about it. Got nothing else to write about. But then, you get Glyn Johns to produce and guys like Entwistle and Moon to be your rhythm section. Get Nicky Hopkins ( he played with The Beatles, you know! ) to play piano on a few album cuts. Sorted! Ah, Entwistle gets just the one composition here, but it's a good-un. Home for the weekend, he promises he's going to make the worst of his time. That's a threat. The song has a groove about it and the lyrics plug into the wondering what the hell you're doing in a band acting the fame and fortune thing when you really should be growing up and being mature, thing, that the Townshend songs here do. That's a sentence. I do apologise. 'They Are All In Love' and 'How Many Friends' let the side down a little, bland balladeering. Much more special is the Pete sung, accompanied by himself on ukulele 'Blue, Red and Grey'. Entwistle contributes a suitably sparse, beautiful and haunting brass arrangement. This is mature Townshend writing, the solo plus brass arrangement suits the song perfectly. Great song, a genuinely great song and affecting performance.

So, the closing 'In A Hand Or A Face', following a second half to the LP devoted to ballads or softer moments, returns the 'OO to teenage rock and roll wasteland. About bloody time, but what's gone before, the performances, mature writing and sophisticated feel of this 'Who By Numbers' set has more than impressed. Oh, by the way. This record was the last Who album released before the demise of Keith Moon. He wouldn't live to see the release or tour the 'Who Are You' record. His drumming throughout 'Who By Numbers', whilst not the whirlwind of yore, more than does it for me. Still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world, indeed.

Slip Kid / However Much I Booze / Squeeze Box / Dreaming From The Waist / Imagine A Man / Success Story / They Are All In Love / Blue Red And Grey / How Many Friends / In A Hand Or A Face

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic