Yes - Fragile

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
An album that marked the beginning of the Yes association with artist Roger Dean who would go on to provide them with some of the most famous album artwork of all time. Chances are if you are a music fan you've seen one of Roger Dean's Yes paintings. Even if you haven't actually heard any music by Yes! And, another first for this album. Rick Wakeman joined the band. His proficiency and classical leanings were the final piece in the jigsaw. Suddenly Yes were sounding absolutely amazing and creating the kind of music they'd always had in their minds. Well, that's what I reckon anyway. What do I know? I just know that, as a relative newcomer to the music of Yes, this album rules. It is rule. The opening 'Roundabout' is eight and a half minutes long. Now, see. This is the kind of thing that makes non prog lovers shudder. The length of the songs. But, sod em. 'Roundabout' is fucking amazing. It rocks, hard. Everything plays a part, the bass, the drums, the twirling keyboards of Rick Wakeman. Jon Anderson sounds wonderful too. Yeah, he does. He does! The 'chorus' of the song, the 'in and around the lake...' section is just....ah! I just feel like stripping naked and rolling around in mud with glee. And then Then! Around the three and a half minute mark the whole thing explodes. A heavy bass sound, sinister and superb sounding guitar. Hats off as well to the now legendary Prog drummer Bill Bruford who does such a good job here. You could just cut out the drums and listen to that and you'd still have something worthwhile and exciting. A little atmospheric guitar as the track drops out. The 'in and around the lake....' vocal section is caressed, whispered. The drums and keyboards kick back in. The whole song is an impossible triumph. If you are wondering how to introduce Yes to a friend who doesn't know much about this kind of music (whatever kind of music this actually is... ), then just play them this song. It'll do the trick.

After that excitement (well, I was excited! ) we have the first of several solo spots by Yes group members here. Rick Wakeman fiddles around with a classical theme, hence the songs title, 'Cans And Brahms'. It sounds so very stupid, SO STUPID, you can't help yourself but smile. Especially coming as it does off the back of the superlative 'Roundabout'. 'We Have Heaven' is a Jon Anderson song-writing showcase. Well, a vocal showcase really. A repeating vocal refrain with beautiful harmonies to back it up as the band slowly wind themselves up behind him. It's a one and a half minute moment of sheer beauty. The second group collaboration arrives with 'South Side Of The Sky' and it hardly disappoints. The bass is groovy as hell, the guitar full of inventive riffing. Again, it's a song that rocks. The piano section in the middle with added vocal harmonies provides the beauty here before we go back to the rocking bass and guitar to close. 'Five Per Cent Of Nothing' is the drummers solo writing contribution. It's half a minute long and that's all i'm going to say about it. It's an interlude to lead into 'Long Distance Runaround'. Another Jon Anderson song, another fine piece of work. A weird rhythm as he starts to sing 'I still remember the dream there' which reminds of The Beatles 'White Album' for some reason.

'The Fish' is an instrumental showcase for the considerable talents of Yes bass man Chris Squire. The drums back him up, the bass lines are layered on top of one another and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Yeah, it's an instrumental, but it plays a part in the album overall. In a sense, it's just as important to the album as a whole as either 'Roundabout' or 'South Side Of The Sky'. Jon Anderson starts mouthing nonsense vocal refrains in the background. They sound beautiful though and work to end the song as it fades away. A solo spot by Steve Howe follows - an exotic and lovely guitar section. The full band return for 'Heart Of The Sunrise'. A lengthy introduction that builds up with keyboards and bass guitar with Bill Bruford providing solid support underneath. Close to the two minute mark, the guitar starts to prowl over the top of all of this before we enter an impossibly quickly taken section of instrumental music with everyone going full tilt. And, this is still the introduction. Three and a half minutes pass before we hear anything from Jon Anderson! Everything goes mellow to allow for his vocal parts to get going. The song switches several times through it's remaining half but always retains the listeners interest. A brief reprise of the 'We Have Heaven' vocal refrain closes the record. You may well feel exhausted. It's a journey of sorts, this record. It's a fabulous record but only the first Yes would release in 1972. Hey, they were on a roll!

Tracklist:
Roundabout
Cans And Brahms
We Have Heaven
South Side Of The Sky
Five Per Cent For Nothing
Long Distance Runaround
The Fish (Shindleria Praematurus)
Mood For A Day
Heart Of A Sunrise

a1.jpeg

Forum Community