Big Star

Motorik

Hello, people. I don't see this band mentioned here, so I'll do it myself. Big Star is a band from Memphis formed in 1971. The people behind the band are Alex Chilton, Chris Bell, Jody Stephens and Andy Hummel. They are known for being one of the most important bands of Power pop and alternative rock. They released three albums in the seventies: #1 Record (1972), Radio City (1974) and Third/Sister Lovers (1978). They also released a fourth album in 2005, called In Space. I didn't listen to this one yet, but it is said is not as good as the other three. But whatever. Their history is full of problems, fights, arguments and drug addictions. I won't tell it right now because I don't have time, but I really recommend you to listen to their first three albums. A very worthy band. Here you have one of my favourite songs of them:

This band has passed me by, thanks for raising their profile, I will certainly check them out!

No problem. If it's not a nuisance to ask you, can you raise the profile of Spirit and Sly & The Family Stone? If you don't know them, don't worry. I'll do it.

No problem. If it's not a nuisance to ask you, can you raise the profile of Spirit and Sly & The Family Stone? If you don't know them, don't worry. I'll do it.

You go ahead, seems like another band that's passed me by.

I do remember the song Spirit In The Sky by a band called Dr And The Medics.

You go ahead, seems like another band that's passed me by.

I do remember the song Spirit In The Sky by a band called Dr And The Medics.

Nothing to do with the band Randy California led, but I personally prefer Dr and the Medics to Spirit :):)

As for Sly and the Family Stone, well, I prefer Funkadelic, Parliament (with Bootsy), Mother's Finest and ? Mark and the Mysterians actually.......I firmly believe SFS had good lyrics, good harmony , good melodic lines, but they lacked what all medium songs lack - good arrangements. Don Costa, the greatest arranger ever, said that what makes the big diff between a good song and a bad song are the arrangements. The trick is all in the latter :):)

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic