Dave Matthews Band - Crash

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The album opens with "So much to say", a fun and classic sound which catches the listener's ear every time, leading into some full fledged jam songs later in the album. The beginning of the album contains some of the more commercially friendly and known numbers like "so much to say" and "two step", "crash into me" and "too much".

Next the real fun starts as the band lets loose on some genuine jams following the beautifully written lyrics on "#41" which seques perfectly into "say goodbye". This song contains an african beat and feel to it with the band sounding tight and at the top of their game. These songs, along with "lie in our graves" and "tripping billies" provide some of the best jamming on the album, every note and beat is put to use, and each means something to the music.

From here, the album kind of goes all over the place until the end, but oddly every one of the songs sounds perfect where it is and fits on the album, adding to the ambience. It goes from the crashing rock of "drive in drive out" to the quiet guitar driven "I let you down". From the majestic plea of reform of "cry freedom", finally to a mostly tamed jammed flavored "proudest monkey" with the DMB classics "lie in our graves" and "tripping billies" (one of my personal favorites) in between.

Each DMB album has its own greatness and character and strength, but I think that "Crash" is the one I most closely associate with their sound. Its one of those albums that you could listen to it time and time again and never get bored. I feel its fair to say that "Crash" is a classic, and is one of the best albums of the 90's.

Tracklist for Crash:
1 So Much To Say
2 Two Step
3 Crash Into Me
4 Too Much
5 #41
6 Say Goodbye
7 Drive In Drive Out
8 Let You Down
9 Lie In Our Graves
10 Cry Freedom
11 Tripping Billies