Influence of technological advancement on Music

Music has been part of our life from time immemorial. Humans enjoyed natural sounds....of wind, water, birds, animals etc. They tried to emulate certain sounds and that must have been the starting point or birth of music. We started inventing musical instruments and now technology has taken the output of musical instruments to a different level. How do you think the music scenario will look like in the future....say about 50 years later?

Yes very true what you say. I think electricity made music more ethereal than ever.....it makes the electrons of music richer and more soulful. However, too much pure electronics (mind you I said electronics, NOT electricity) has distorted music out of human reach.
Take Oztic Tentacles for example. It's an electronic band dubbed with psychedelia here and there.....well, my great passion is psychedelic rock, but OT go out of their way to take the soul out of musical notes and replace them with pure electrons.....the result is just material energy lacking any human touch :)
Moog's and synths are ok, but there is a limit if they tend to reduce the magic of music.

Like you said people just make music with whatever musical instruments are around, it used to be only pianos and harpsichords, then orchestral type instruments when Beethoven and co were around, accoustic guitars have been around a long time but it was the invention of the electric guitar and other electronic instruments that changed music fundamentally. As for the future? who knows, I doubt if there will be such a big invention as the electric guitar.

Fred Frith (a music sociologist) once said nukes will power music in the future and take it to the next level :)

Once nukes are used we all will go to the next level......I mean afterlife ....;)
Well, uncle Albert taught us well how to use nuke power in a safe way, but will we ? That's another issue. Anyway, I see your point but I think people had the same line of thought when electricity was introduced for the first time in their lives. Electricity is a very dangerous form of energy to use and we eventually tamed the beast :):)....it'll be much more difficult with nukes :(

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic