Jethro Tull

Thanks, I've listened to them and a few more. I absolutely love them. I don't know, if I listen any more they may replace Pink Floyd's title as my favourite band ?‍♂️
Tull and Floyd are up there in lights and will remain among the best UK bands out there. Frankly, PF faded a little with The Wall, but I still listen to their back catalogue a lot. I tend to prefer JT because there is not one album that anyone can say is wimpy......even "A", which is considered rather "commercial" has not one bad track on it
Jethro_Tull_-_A (1).jpg

Take this 1984 album which I consider to be their least important one.
There is too much drum machines and use of synths for my liking, but it was the 80s after all. Ian's magic flute and vocals compensate for the wimpiness of electronica at all costs

Just read the lyrics of Dot Com the song and fly high - like it or not - into the future - which is practically now. Pink Floyd didn't "feel the pulse" with The Wall

DOT COM - pure poetry :)

It's a wide world out there so much wider than imagined
I can't quite put my finger on the pulse
Of your heart softly beating just beneath the raw silk sheen
That reflects the tints of autumn from the hills
So punch my name
And in case you wonder
I'll be yours, I'll be yours dot com
Executive accommodation, bland but nonetheless appealing
Waiters discretely at your beck and call
Place the tall sun down potion, lightly by your velvet elbow
While you compose a message on the wall
So punch my name
And in case you wonder
So punch my name
And in case you wonder
With your handmade leather valise packed and ready, ready waiting
Showered and dressed down lightly for the heat
Give a clue, leave a kind word, hint as to a destination
A domain where our cyber souls might meet
So punch my name
And in case you wonder
I'll be yours, yours dot com
So punch my name
And in case you wonder

Tull and Floyd are up there in lights and will remain among the best UK bands out there. Frankly, PF faded a little with The Wall, but I still listen to their back catalogue a lot. I tend to prefer JT because there is not one album that anyone can say is wimpy......even "A", which is considered rather "commercial" has not one bad track on it
View attachment 1803
With Pink Floyd, I have listened to - and enjoyed - every single song on their discography (released on Spotify) except for three songs that I didn't enjoy: A New Machine Pt. 1, A New Machine Pt. 2 and One Slip.

I have yet to find a Jethro Tull song I don't enjoy.

With Pink Floyd, I have listened to - and enjoyed - every single song on their discography (released on Spotify) except for three songs that I didn't enjoy: A New Machine Pt. 1, A New Machine Pt. 2 and One Slip.

I have yet to find a Jethro Tull song I don't enjoy.
Exactly, in their long life as a band, they never failed to deliver....except for the album I mentioned in a previous post up here - Under Wraps....but then again, it was the sterile 80s effect on JT. Perhaps they were just trying to extend and expand their audience, but the project back-fired on them, but they never tried that dirty trick again !

I think same can be said about Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse Of Reason... but it also probably has a lot to do with the departure of the genius that is Roger Waters.
Well, in PF's case, yes, it was 98% due to Waters' departure.
In any case, someone should start a thread on the "sterile 80s music scene" with all its crappy 'disco music", synths, drum machines, cold electronica, etc.
Quite a few bands fell into that trap (e.g. Queen), but others opted out of that involution of music.

Take this 1984 album which I consider to be their least important one.
There is too much drum machines and use of synths for my liking, but it was the 80s after all. Ian's magic flute and vocals compensate for the wimpiness of electronica at all costs

It sounds like you're not too keen on the heavy use of drum machines and synths in that particular album, but you appreciate Ian's flute and vocals as redeeming qualities. Sometimes, a strong performance from a band member can outweigh any stylistic choices that aren't quite your cup of tea. It's fascinating how different eras can influence musical production styles. Do you find any tracks on the album particularly noteworthy despite the overall electronica vibe?

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic