Pink Floyd

I have to disagree.
I like Syd, Gilmour and Waters , let's say, 100%, 60% and 80% respectively....I mean, it's not that I disdain any of them....but as a band, PF started off as a psychedelic band that lost its way down the line until it got totally lost with The wall :) ?
My ratings would be 20% Barret, 100% Gilmore 60% Waters. I am of the opinion that if Gilmore's did not join with his unique voice and guitar playing style, Pink Floyd would have died.

∆∆∆∆∆ I see your point , but we can also put it this way: if Gilmour had formed Pink Floyd together with the other original members instead of Syd, well, Pink Floyd would never have been created as we know and admire it :)

This is for the "newbies" here like Justin:
the way the other members treated Syd after he left the band (better still, ousted from the band), will never be justifiable in the mind of Floyd's die-hard fans. Alright, so Syd had drug addiction problems, but he wasn't insane like they said he was.
They didn't even recognize Syd when he walked into the recording studio one day !!! This, my friends, is totally unforgivable !

the wall is the best pink floyd lp.i was in 11th grade when it came out and everybody was singing another brick in the wall during school.it pissed the teachers off big time.

the wall is the best pink floyd lp.i was in 11th grade when it came out and everybody was singing another brick in the wall during school.it pissed the teachers off big time.
Wrong. The Wall is the WORST album of wimpy music ever produced in modern popular music. Any boy band could have concocted a mass of slimey cheesy wimpy arrangements and mere disco licks like the ones on this album.....and this has nothing to do with pissing off teachers either. Ahhhhhh, Syd where are you my friend :(:(

Maybe a bit harsh, there are a few cracking tracks on the wall. OK another brick is maybe a bit commercial but hit singles make money and like Alice Cooper with schools out, releasing a track that the kids in school can identify with probably earned them a whole new generation of fans.

Maybe a bit harsh, there are a few cracking tracks on the wall. OK another brick is maybe a bit commercial but hit singles make money and like Alice Cooper with schools out, releasing a track that the kids in school can identify with probably earned them a whole new generation of fans.
Well, if we're talking music to make money with , that usually (90%) does not necessarily align with GOOD music. Are we talking record sales, merch, business, etc here or are we talking making music - music as an art form ???! Good music might even be commercial (e.g. Creedance Clearwater Revival) , but not all commercial music is good music. Having it against a category (in all its right :)) is not the point here..... the point is good music :).

Yes but the wall is about as un-commercial as it gets, it is only that one track that made money out of the 'pop' audience.

Yes, but it was not released as a single, but as an album. The only decent song I hear on The Wall is Comfortably Numb - and that one , by the way, is the one less listened to (stats at hand). Most peeps like the member above said : " everyone was listening to Another brick in the wall..." and not CN.

Another brick in the wall (part 2) was released as a single and got to No1 here in the UK, didn't do so well in US but sold 4 million copies worldwide.

Screenshot from 2023-06-30 18-55-26.png

the wall nust have done something write because it sold a boatload of albums.
I repeat, good music as an art form has nothing to do with record sales or business. It doesn't mean a single thing if it sells millions of copies, crap remains crap . Music is art, not $$$.

I repeat, good music as an art form has nothing to do with record sales or business. It doesn't mean a single thing if it sells millions of copies, crap remains crap . Music is art, not $$$.
You are mistaken if you think it was a bad album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about psychedelia, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is considered by many to be the max. epitome of psychedelic music, but I don't like it at all - for me it's so damn boring and the arrangements suck; which brings me to this topic : arrangements in music - I noticed very few people mention this part when discussing music topics and as the greatest arranger of modern music once said (Don Costa) "what makes the big diff between good songs and bad ones ? The arrangements....". he nailed it :).

sgt pepper was a good album.it was widely accepted as an album cause the beatles did it,had he stones done it,it would not have been accepted as such a good album.

sgt pepper was a good album.it was widely accepted as an album cause the beatles did it,had he stones done it,it would not have been accepted as such a good album.
Not sure if you can compare the Beatles with the Stones as the Stones are a blues based rock band and the Beatles are or were a boy band like take that or something. Although Sgt Peppers was there attempt at breaking away from their pop hit music style, I doubt if the Stones would ever come up with something like it.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic