Sly & the Family Stone

Motorik

Formed by people of different ethnicities and genders, Sly and the Family Stone are one of the greatest funk bands. In fact, they trascend the label of "black music" because they mixed this with "white music" such as rock and pop and psychedelia. However, as great as all of the members are in their instruments, the genius behind the music is Sylvester Stewart, known artistically as Sly Stone. He was a great composer, one of the best. I don't know if you know the page of John Mcferrin, but he called this band "the greatest american band ever" (or his favorite, at least). While I disagree, I can see where is he going with this statement. They are great, truly great. All of their first six studio albums and the two live albums (Fillmore East and Woodstock) are mandatory. Besides, the Greatest Hits released inmediately after "Stand" is great, since it contains three songs unreleased in regular studio albums, and the three are classics. Meanwhile, enjoy this song. One of their best ever:

That's a nice tune alright.....probably their best....but the arrangements are not up to funky standards .....the voice is majestic. Not enuff bassline in the right places though.

SFS were only a fly-by for me .....as I said elsewhere here, I'm more into the harder, funkier stuff like Funkadelic or Parliament.....Bootsy Collins and George Clinton paved the way, not Sly Stone ...man :)....ya gotta admit :)

This funky beat beats (pun intended) Sky Stone 100 to 1 :(
.SFS were only a fly-by for me .....as I said elsewhere here, I'm more into the harder, funkier stuff like Funkadelic or Parliament.....Bootsy Collins and George Clinton paved the way, not Sly Stone ...man :)....ya gotta admit :)...this funky beat beats (pun intended:)) 100 to 1 :)....this funky beat beats (pun intended :)) 100 to 1

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic