The Rolling Stones - 12 X 5 - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
A five song UK EP gets seven assorted singles, b-sides and other material added to it to create the second ( US ) Rolling Stones album. And, it's a good idea. You see, now in the 21st century we can have all of these songs in one easy to digest place rather than spread around all over the shop. Of course at the time, the US Rolling Stones record label just wanted another album out, and had no other thoughts than making money out of their new, hottest act in town charges! So? Well, 'Around And Around' is a great opening track and easily up with the best of the debut. Five Jagger/Richards compositions this time around, by the way. 'Empty Heart' sounds weak compared to the rhythm and blues covers elsewhere here and on 'Englands Newest Hit makers', 'Good Times Bad Times' sounds great, very convincing and in the style of the other material the group had been recording around this time. 'Congratulations' is a sweet little song that reminds me of 'Tell Me' from the debut set, the same kind of echo has been placed on the vocals and this is an enjoyable sweeter Rolling Stones moment, although not great material within itself. 'Grown Up Wrong' is fairly minor Stones material and the final Jagger/Richards composition here. Of course, the grab and bag nature of this album release was always going to affect the flow and cohesiveness of the overall finished product - there is more weaker material than the debut, absolutely no question. For the most part the band are still playing as well though, and sounding pretty good into the bargain.

'Confessing The Blues' has a harmonica part that comes in, literally in the background. The echo and production here is fabulous - the slow grind of the song utterly convincing and the Piano parts great, too. 'Time Is On My Side' is fabulous, wonderful Jagger vocals and a performance that sounds very haunting in a chill up the spine kind of a way. 'It's All Over Now' is a certified Stones classic to my mind, a hit single, and the sound of later Rolling Stones moved forwards to 1964, if you can imagine such a thing. The Jagger vocals sound even more characteristic and the guitar parts sound more 'Rolling Stones' than anything else here. Of course, all of this is said by myself knowing what came later, but there's no other way I can approach these early Stones records. What else do we have? Well, '2120 South Michigan Ave' is a two minute organ led instrumental akin to 'Now I've Got A Witness' from 'Englands Newest Hit makers'. 'Under The Boardwalk' really is THAT 'Under The Boardwalk', a song I usually despise - but this Stones version doesn't irritate me at all. It sounds quite nice in some places and in other places unintentionally comical! I like 'If You Need Me' with its genuine and passionate sounding Jagger vocal but don't care for the closing 'Susie Q' very much at all. For the first time so far The Rolling Stones sound sloppy and the mixing here on 'Susie Q' fails to match the levels of clarity the debut achieved. Still, as I said right at the start of this review, '12x5' is a good thing to have around.

Around And Around / Confessing The Blues / Empty Heart / Time Is On My Side / Good Times, Bad Times / It's All Over Now / 2120 South Michigan Ave / Under The Boardwalk / Congratulations / Grown Up Wrong / If You Need Me / Susie Q

a1.jpeg

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic