The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Album Review

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
The CD liner info has a note from Mr Jimmy Miller which reads as follows.... "Maximum cycle characteristics and frequency response at high decibel level have been set accordingly to standards suggested in the guy stevens producer manual, chart R-357, in index, page 304. These recommended standards were compiled by the same authority having recently measured audible damage created by supersonic aircraft. If for any reason you do not agree with the standards - turn it up. " - good advice, I say! But, what about 'Sticky Fingers', the first Stones of the Seventies? Well, the first twenty three minutes or so are all stunning, amazing things. Amazing soul, amazing Rock n Roll, truly fabulous minutes and seconds. They'll pass by, and you'll be drawn in and invited to experience different emotions. 'Brown Sugar' is dirty, sexy... an instant classic Stones single. Classic riff, classic. Full stop. Second song of this particular 'fab four' is the lazy yet together 'Sway'. Loose, so loose it sounds like it's about to fall apart at any moment. The subtle strings in the background are a nice touch. The Mick Taylor guitar work just sounds so damn amazing. Fantastic lead vocals from Mr Jagger, very soulful. Keef provides additional vocals, and doesn't play any guitar at all on this recording, which is interesting given that Mick Taylor was the new boy. I see that as a vote of confidence for him from the other guys! 'Wild Horses' has an interesting story behind it, in that The Flying Burrito Brothers released a version of this particular Jagger/Richards composition before The Stones themselves did. Keith was hanging around with Gram Parsons quite a lot, bonding with the guy. Well, if the time he spent with Gram was even partly responsible for the gorgeous 'Wild Horses' then it was time truly damn well spent! As with 'Sway', Keith joins Mick for the chorus vocals, and the sound of them singing together is a genuinely affecting sound. 'Can't' You Hear Me Knocking' is a certified seven minute wonder with riffs, Jagger vocal sounds - "YEAH! Got COCAINE EYES!". The song ebbs and flows and the guitars of Richards and Taylor combine so well, the sound of a genuine love of playing together shines through. Ah, shame about the blues cover 'You Gotta Move' but then, it has a hard job following these opening four songs. To be fair, it's short and does nothing wrong as such..... You could argue it doesn't exactly 'fit' the album perfectly, if you took it out altogether things would remain much the same.... Sorry, i'm not doing so well explaining myself. Let's just say that 'You Gotta Move' is great, but maybe doesn't fit? But ah, the question mark remains!

Moving on, 'Bitch' is a truly fantastic driving song. Imagine a convertible with the wind blowing through you, an empty highway and 'Bitch' played FUCKING LOUD. You're on your way somewhere, you're gonna fucking LIVE, for today! Fuck the boss, fuck the job. Let's gamble and get drunk and..... be sexy. "Move like a stud" perhaps? Well, thanks Mick! We'll consider that one too. 'I Got The Blues' has heartbreakingly beautiful vocals, 'Sister Morphine' is another song like 'Wild Horses', possibly benefiting from the presence around Keith of Gram Parsons. It's also undoubtedly inspired by the ( very inspiring ) presence of Marianne Faithful. Ry Cooder adds ghostly guitar work... great track. 'Dead Flowers' is just yer regular 'good' Stones song but it fits. The closing 'Moonlight Mile' is another classic akin to the first four songs. Strings, piano - with Mick Taylor on guitar doing another damn fine job of his parts. 'Sticky Fingers' really sees Mick Taylor 'fully' a Rolling Stone. It sees The Stones themselves rise to their own artistic challenge - the run of 'Beggars Banquet' and 'Let It Bleed'. That they manage to add 'Sticky Fingers' to that list says something for the run of form they were on.

Brown sugar / Sway / Wild Horses / Can't You Hear Me Knocking / You Gotta Move / Bitch / I Got The Blues / Sister Morphine / Dead Flowers / Moonlight Mile

a1.jpeg

Stream Or Download Album

Last edited:
Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic