The Rock Bands & Music Discussion Forum

The Classic Rock Forum. The 1970's was the best decade for rock music. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep purple, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath. Let's talk rock!

What song got you into metal?

changeling

Fanatical member
I like a good discussion on metal origins. I think in the late 60's and the 70's the line between rock & metal was still fuzzy. As metal was evolving from rock. It wasn't until the early 80's that metal really became a truly its own unique genre, completely separate from rock. Just my $0.02.
I cannot but agree with you on this. HM had its primordial origins deep in the mid 60s when the volume of music thru the amps not only was turned up , but was also distorted a little to give hard rock a rougher metallic sound , thus the term heavy metal. In the 80s , HR was starting to lose its blues trace and was morphing into a more epic sort of music, composing aspects and arrangements. The mid 80s did indeed thrust HM out of the underground and HM hits started to appear; despite this, HM was not fully embraced by all listeners because it was thought of as screamer and noise music by pop / rock purists.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic