The Rock Bands & Music Discussion Forum

The Classic Rock Forum. The 1970's was the best decade for rock music. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep purple, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath. Let's talk rock!

Dark side of the moon Vs The Wall

changeling

Fanatical member

I say there is no match. DSOTM is the best of the 2. Can anyone really compare, say, Money with Another brick in the wall ? I find it very difficult to even think of listening to The Wall. Legend has it that when Syd casually walked into the studio one day while the band was doing the Wall, he approached the master tapes and said "do you really want to record this rubbish?"

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
DSoM is the album that made them rich and famous, it was at No.1 in the Album charts for Months.

I think it was the Movie 'The Wall' with Geldof that drove sales of the Album.

changeling

Fanatical member
DSoM is the album that made them rich and famous, it was at No.1 in the Album charts for Months.

I think it was the Movie 'The Wall' with Geldof that drove sales of the Album.
I agree on that. DSOTM is a clear example of extremely good music that also sold very well. Not many rock albums had this sort of luck; either the music was excellent, but didn't sell well or the music was mediocre but sold very well.

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
There are only a couple of Albums that come anywhere close to DSoM (in the Rock genre) in terms of overall sales.

Floyd

Administrator
Staff member
No where near, that is their debut album and sold hardly any copies at the time, it is just after they became famous people went back and bought that Album but not in the same league as the above albums.

changeling

Fanatical member
Personally, if I don't like an album / song the first time I listen to it, 90% of the time I won't like it the next time either.
It happened once that I had to re-evaluate an album, but the second listening was an improved, rearranged and remastered version of the original.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic