Dark side of the moon Vs The Wall

changeling

A Rock God

I say there is no match. DSOTM is the best of the 2. Can anyone really compare, say, Money with Another brick in the wall ? I find it very difficult to even think of listening to The Wall. Legend has it that when Syd casually walked into the studio one day while the band was doing the Wall, he approached the master tapes and said "do you really want to record this rubbish?"

DSoM is the album that made them rich and famous, it was at No.1 in the Album charts for Months.

I think it was the Movie 'The Wall' with Geldof that drove sales of the Album.

DSoM is the album that made them rich and famous, it was at No.1 in the Album charts for Months.

I think it was the Movie 'The Wall' with Geldof that drove sales of the Album.
I agree on that. DSOTM is a clear example of extremely good music that also sold very well. Not many rock albums had this sort of luck; either the music was excellent, but didn't sell well or the music was mediocre but sold very well.

No where near, that is their debut album and sold hardly any copies at the time, it is just after they became famous people went back and bought that Album but not in the same league as the above albums.

Personally, if I don't like an album / song the first time I listen to it, 90% of the time I won't like it the next time either.
It happened once that I had to re-evaluate an album, but the second listening was an improved, rearranged and remastered version of the original.

I say there is no match. DSOTM is the best of the 2. Can anyone really compare, say, Money with Another brick in the wall ? I find it very difficult to even think of listening to The Wall. Legend has it that when Syd casually walked into the studio one day while the band was doing the Wall, he approached the master tapes and said "do you really want to record this rubbish?"
Nothing beats Dark side of the moon and wish you were here I say. The wall had good moments but some downtime (for me) where I was kinda waiting....

If we don't take into consideration the plush production behind The Wall, just the bare music, this album could've been recorded by any ol band out there......but production itself will not necessarily make good music :)

You also have to take into account that the wall is a double album and was more expensive to buy than DSotM and back then you had to actually buy the album from a record shop as there were no free downloads. Although you could make a recording on a blank tape.

I have to go with The Wall on this one. There is just so much there to enjoy and experience. It's not a case of quantity over quality; The Wall has both. So many really great songs, and soundscapes.
I could listen to either album anytime, anywhere and often, but The Wall also has the benefit of association to the movie.
I had a friend in school who had an older brother. We would sit in his room and listen to these albums as well as others so I had a great introduction to both of these albums. The Wall was an urgent need when I ultimately started my collection.

I have to go with The Wall on this one. There is just so much there to enjoy and experience. It's not a case of quantity over quality; The Wall has both. So many really great songs, and soundscapes.
I could listen to either album anytime, anywhere and often, but The Wall also has the benefit of association to the movie.
I had a friend in school who had an older brother. We would sit in his room and listen to these albums as well as others so I had a great introduction to both of these albums. The Wall was an urgent need when I ultimately started my collection.
As Syd Barrett (RIP) would have said if he were still with us (sigh!!) : "Garbage".

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic