Hawkwind play Royal Albert Hall 29th Sept 2023

I have seen hawkwind more than 30 times at various venues (and open air gigs) around the UK but have never seen them play at the RAH, should be a good gig.

I was really hoping they'd do the whole of Space Ritual given that it is 50 years old, has retrospectively been acknowledged as a classic of stoner rock (i thought this when I first heard it in '73) and given too that the box set came out yesterday, so much as I enjoyed gig it felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity. It was just another Hawkwind gig when it could have been momentous. Still, a great show with the band refusing heritage act status - maybe that explains why they didn't do what I'd expected? I first saw them in September 73 aged 12 so this gig in September 2023 completes a circle for me. There's never been anything like them and Dave Brock's music from the start owes nothing to anybody. It is out on its own from the first extraordinary album onwards.

Most of the young musicians in the band now were not even alive when Space ritual was recorded but yes it is good to see that Brock is still keeping the Hawkwind sound alive.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic