What song got you into metal?

I'm an old fart so I have to go with The Kinks' You really got me ......no joke, it's considered the very first proto-metal riff/song ever.

I must confess that I have never heard of Diabolica until today, shows you how out of touch I am with modern classics. I will give that a listen though.

Here is one of the earlier 'metal' classics that I got into.

I agree it's a catchy rift but I have never heard the kinks described as 'heavy metal'
Here is all you need to know, mate:
I was very depressed and fooling around with a razor blade. I could easily have slashed my wrists, but I had a little green amplifier, an Elpico, that was sounding crap. I thought, 'I'll teach it' – and slashed the speaker cone," Davies explained. "It changed the sound of my guitar. Then, when I wired that amp up to another, a Vox AC30, it made it a lot, lot louder. That's how 'You Really Got Me' became the first hit record to use distortion, which so many bands have cited as the beginnings of punk and heavy metal."

Read More: How the Kinks Changed Rock Music With 'You Really Got Me' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kin...rsary/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

They may have inspired others to go down that route but their own music was quite mainstream. They were a full decade before music described as heavy metal appeared in the late seventies by the likes of Motorhead, Saxon Judas Priest etc

They may have inspired others to go down that route but their own music was quite mainstream. They were a full decade before music described as heavy metal appeared in the late seventies by the likes of Motorhead, Saxon Judas Priest etc
What's in a genre name ? When the Kinks used that amp in the way they did, the sound was a growling sound......heavier than any other sound ever heard before 1966 .......it was described as heavy and metallic = "heavy metal" .....now you know the story behind the Kinks and heavy metal. Terminogically speaking, even in the era of The Stooges (considered the forefathers of punk) the term "punk" was unknown :)

All music 'evolves' from music that is already around but you are missing out an intermediate Genre. The Kinks were around in the late 60's and they inspired rock music in the early 70's with the likes of Deep Purple, status Quo, black sabbath etc.. It was from that you got first punk in the mid 70's then heavy metal in the late 70's but to compare a rock/pop band like the Kinks to a heavy metal band like Judas Priest is just a step too far in my opinion.

All music 'evolves' from music that is already around but you are missing out an intermediate Genre. The Kinks were around in the late 60's and they inspired rock music in the early 70's with the likes of Deep Purple, status Quo, black sabbath etc.. It was from that you got first punk in the mid 70's then heavy metal in the late 70's but to compare a rock/pop band like the Kinks to a heavy metal band like Judas Priest is just a step too far in my opinion.
In fact , I wasn't comparing any band with any other band, just stating the obvious. If it wasn't for the Kinks' early loud distorted sound, there would be no 'heavy metal' today. I was listening to an early Sister Rosetta Tharpe song earlier and I noticed there would be no modern electric guitar blues without SRT :)

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with you, the Kinks were not the only 'distorted guitar' sound back in the late sixties, what about the Jimi Hendrix experience and the Velvet Underground

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with you, the Kinks were not the only 'distorted guitar' sound back in the late sixties, what about the Jimi Hendrix experience and the Velvet Underground
Didn't the others come after '66.....just asking eh ??!! The Kinks' did their thing in '64, while Hendrix was still giggin' with the Kasuals .....the others came out in or after '66.

I like a good discussion on metal origins. I think in the late 60's and the 70's the line between rock & metal was still fuzzy. As metal was evolving from rock. It wasn't until the early 80's that metal really became a truly its own unique genre, completely separate from rock. Just my $0.02.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member Fanatic